The Society prides itself on being a friendly group of people all with a common interest in capturing and creating images. Experienced members are more than willing to provide practical guidance to those less experienced. We hold regular competitions throughout the year to give members an opportunity to put their new found skills into practice, and competitions are a great way to improve and get feedback on your photography. We use visiting judges who provide constructive feedback on all entries and allocate either Commended or Highly Commended awards to about 10 – 15% in each award category. These awards help you to accumulate points,
Lancaster Photographic Society offers the following annual awards:
- Photographer of the year - Fred Johnstone trophy (points accumulation)
- Runner-up photographer of the year - Syd Cumbus trophy (points accumulation)
- Triannual trophy (landscape, flora and fauna, people and places)
- President's Challenge cup (the winner of the President's challenge)
- Best annual colour print – Neville Morton trophy
- Best annual mono print – B&K Marsh trophy
- Best annual colour DPI – Anderson trophy
- Best annual mono DPI – Past Presidents' trophy
- Best New Member Cup
- Members' choice award
This year we are running the following types of competitions:
Digitally Projected Images (DPI)
All images must confirm to the digital sizing and format guidelines
Prints to be presented on a card sized 40 cm x 50 cm. DPI of prints must presented with the prints.
Annual Print Competition
Prints must be presented on a card sized 40 x 50 cm. DPI of prints (conforming to the DPI guidelines) must be provided with the prints.
The society members select the images at a regular meeting, or a competition sub-committee may select DPIs from the last 2 years. We make a point of ensuring no one person contributes more than 3 or 4 images / prints so our entry represents our society.