We meet on Monday evenings from September to April with a number of practical events throughout the summer.
- Membership per year: £40.00
- Cost per visit for non-members: £4.00
- Meeting Time: 7:30pm
- Location: Trinity United Reformed Church, High Street, Lancaster, LA1 1YA – Directions
- Mon, 12 Sep
- Welcome to the Year Ahead
- A tour through the year’s programme of meetings, an introduction to the competition process, and a presentation by John Metcalfe on 'Pictures to Exe', the easy wayto create a photo slideshow and add music and sound tracks.
- Mon, 19 Sep
- Speaker 1 - John Leech - 'Changing Moods - Morecambe Bay, Lake District, Venice and Vienna'
- John lives on the edge of morecambe bay, where he runs a graphic design and photographic business. John will share with us his passion for fine art photography in images selected from his personal work. Inspiration, perhaps, for those members wrestling with the President’s Challenge for 2016/17.
- Mon, 26 Sep
- Competition 1 - Open Print
- Submissions on the night.
Judge: Colin Yates
- Mon, 3 Oct
- L&CPU portfolio 1
- An opportunity for members to take an ‘up close and critical’ look at the best images coming from club members in Lancashire and Cheshire, and to share their thoughts on the images with other members.
Entry Deadline for Competition 2.
- Mon, 10 Oct
- Tutored evening on Night Time Photography led by John Aldred and Søren Udby
- Members will be introduced to the techniques applied to night time photography and invited to go out into lancaster centre to take part in outdoor portrait and townscape sessions ... bring your camera!!! There will also be a print mounting workshop if this is required.
- Mon, 17 Oct
- Competition 2 - Open Digital
- Judge: Professor Terry Hewitt
- Sat, 22 Oct
- Saturday Workshop - an introduction to ‘Photoshop’ from Søren Udby
- Mon, 24 Oct
- Speaker 2 - Alan Hartley - Introduction to Lightroom & Images that Sell!
- Alan Hartley, a member of the society, a double Associate of the Royal Photographic Society, a member of the Outdoor Writers and Photographers Guild and a holder of the International Mountain Leader Award will provide a 2 Part presentation on the 24th. In Part 1 Alan will respond to member demand for an introduction to ‘Lightroom’.
In Part 2 he will inform members about demand for photographic images, where it comes from and the type of images that sell.
- Mon, 31 Oct
- Battle 1 - with Morecambe
- Judge: Chris Frosin
- Mon, 7 Nov
- Speaker 3 - Colin Jarvis - Landscapes and Seascapes
- Colin is a North West based professional photographer who’s work has been exhibited in London, Liverpool and Manchester and has featured in the landscape photographer of the year book. He is a skilled practitioner in digital photography, an educator and tutor in landscape photography. He runs regular workshops in the North West of England and Scotland.
- Sat, 12 Nov
- Saturday Social
- L&CPU Portfolio 2 an opportunity to take a considered look at the best images coming from club members in Lancashire and Cheshire, and to discuss with others over a cup of coffee/tea at Mike’s place.
- Mon, 14 Nov
- Speaker 4 - Drew Forsyth - ‘Dance and Lifestyle Photography’ - Colour
- Drew is a young, Dance, Lifestyle and Commercial Photographer working out of Manchester. His work has featured in The Sunday Times The Guardian, The Scotsman, Manchester Confidential, Creative Tourist, and Time Out. Drew will share with us his portfolio including images captured during his october shoots in New York and Los Angeles.
Entry Deadline for Competition 3
- Mon, 21 Nov
- Speakers 5 - Brett Aspinall & Kristen Malone - ‘The Formal Education Route in Learning Photography’
- Presentation by Brett Aspinall, Kirsten Malone and some of their degree students at Myerscough College, of their work, from sport to landscape, abstract, and reportage, and the direction given to students preparing to enter the changing world of commercial photography.
- Mon, 28 Nov
- Competition 3 - Landscape Theme & Open
- Judge: Nick Hilton
- Mon, 5 Dec
- Studio Evening - the digital darkroom - an introduction to photoshop from Søren Udby and others
- A sharing of photoshop skills, techniques and experiences by some of our more ‘experienced and practiced‘ members.
- Mon, 12 Dec
- Speaker 6 - Lizzie Shepherd - 'Unremarkable scenes‘
- Lizzie is a professional photographer based in North Yorkshire, specialising in landscape, nature and travel photography. As well as showcasing some of our classic views, her photographs reveal a little bit of the less obvious, hidden scenes - the way she sees the world - the things that people might otherwise just walk by - and her desire to explore some more abstract and unusual interpretations of the places she visits. Lizzie presented a shortened version of the talk at the Outdoor Travel & Adventure show in London earlier this year.
- Mon, 19 Dec
- Christmas Dinner
- Mon, 9 Jan
- Speaker 7 - Alan Saunders - ‘Wildlife comes First’
- Alan is an aspiring professional photographer, influenced by the work of Andy Rouse, and as a consequence an obsessive wildlife photographer. Alan will share with us his journey in photography, his methods of working, the rich portfolio of wildlife images he has assembled and his recent work which now extends into an ever widening range of genres.
Entry Deadline for Competition 4.
- Mon, 16 Jan
- Tutored Studio Evening - ‘shooting in a shoe box’
- Members will be introduced to close-up portrait photographic techniques and invited to capture their own images ...bring your camera!!!
- Mon, 23 Jan
- Competition 4 - The President’s Challenge - British Weather
- Judge: Ken Ainscow
- Mon, 30 Jan
- Speaker 8 - Paul Miguel - ‘Bird Photography in Iceland: A Northern Summer"
- Paul became interested in wildlife at a young age and began to photograph birds at local nature reserves, starting out with a Russian Zenit! In 2000 he completed a Zoology degree and now works as a professional freelance Wildlife Photographer. He lives in Leeds and his work is represented in books and magazines and by picture libraries Alamy, FLPA in the UK and Selection-Nature in France. Paul runs a wide variety of Photography Workshops in the UK and Photography Tours abroad to Iceland and Serbia.
- Mon, 6 Feb
- Themed Digital Image Project
- Members will bring along a series of images on a theme for potential inclusion in the club’s presentation to Morecambe Bay Movie Makers. The images can be accompanied by music or by a short talk. The submission should not exceed 5 minutes and be of between 3 - 5 minutes duration.
Judge: The Members, guided by Alan Hartley
The L&CPU folio will also be available on the evening.
- Mon, 13 Feb
- Battle 2 - with Peterhead
- Judge: Richard Speirs
also a Presentation by Alan Hartley on Triptych Images.
Entry Deadline for Competition 5.
- Mon, 20 Feb
- Speaker 9 - Sue Berry - ‘Capturing the Feelings that Lie Beneath the Surface’
- Sue is a member of the Bury Photographic Society. She is passionate about being true to herself and following her own vision in creating photographic images. She will share with us her journey as a photographer and her gallery of images which range from dark, dramatic and moody to minimalist and light and include street photography, urban exploration, nature, landscape and architecture.
- Mon, 27 Feb
- Competition 5 - Annual Digital
- Judge: Keith Barber
- Mon, 6 Mar
- Speaker 10 - Darren Andrews - ‘Places, Portraits and Photograms’
- Darren is a local freelance photographer and film maker.
Entry Deadline for Competition 6.
- Mon, 13 Mar
- An Evening with Morecambe Movie Makers
- Mon, 20 Mar
- President’s Evening
- Mon, 27 Mar
- Competition 6 - Annual Print
- Judge: Justin Garner
- Mon, 3 Apr
- Annual General Meeting
- Mon, 10 Apr
- Annual Awards Dinner